Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kiss from a Rose

The year is 1995. The movie Batman Forever is released and the song "Kiss from a Rose" is re released and topped the charts for a whopping seven days. Everytime that song came on VH1 or MTV back in the days of music videos, my siblings and I would dance around and sing at the top of our lungs while dramatically acting like Batman and Robin fighting evil and winning the girl.

I was 10. I listened to the song on repeat and I sang the words I thought Seal was singing. And I sang them with authority and confidence. I had no idea what he was talking about though. Kiss from a rose on a grave? What? I decided this was due to the fact that I was 10 and didn't know much of anything.

I was driving home from Lebanon on Sunday morning trying to find something on the radio to keep me from drifting off to sleep behind the wheel when Kiss from a Rose started playing on a random Central PA radio station. I of course blasted Seal and sang at the top of my lungs...picture it. I stopped midway through the song and thought...okay, this came out 15 years ago, I am now 25 and I still don't get why Seal is talking about Kissing roses on graves.

Now if you know me, you know I am notorious for making up words to songs and singing them confidently (please see Ellen DeGeneres's stand-up: Here and Now for the funniest reference to this ever...and while you're at it, just watch the whole thing because its the best http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ellen+degeneres+here+and+now&aq=f). Well today I was thinking about that song and I thought, I'm going to look up the lyrics for the first time ever. And to my surprise I have been singing them wrong for the last 15 years!!!  Now I get it...

Baby, I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
Ooh, the more I get of you,
The stranger it feels, yeah.
And now that your rose is in bloom.
A light hits the gloom on the gray.
There is so much a man can tell you,
So much he can say.
You remain, my power, my pleasure, my pain, baby


....oh wait. nope, still confused.

3 comments:

andrea said...

hahaha does anyone know besides seal what this means? hmmm maybe heidi klum? she's full of secrets. victoria's secrets. and this song.

Raleigh said...

This made me laugh! I tended to do the same thing and have only began to recently question the lyrics I have come up with for songs. I actually make up words that don't exist. Do you do that too?

Thanks for sharing this. It's interesting to discover how important certain songs can be to us, and the emotional connection we feel with them even when we don't know what they're about. It shows us there's more to meaning than words!

Anonymous said...

it would be awesome if this song was on 101.3 'the rose'. - joseph mother