Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Community

"Be daring, be difficult, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it safers, the creatures of the common place, the slaves of the ordinary" - Cecil Beaton

I came across this quote when I looked through all the encouraging letters people wrote to me before I left for India. This quote was from my friend Liz Leaver who encourages me to be more daring than she realizes...I read this and reflected on the fundraiser I just had for the orphanage. Most of you don't know, but we raised over $1400 for the Kadesh Children's Happy Home in Bangalore, India....incredible.

After I sent the care package full of clothes and toys, and wired the money I had to go for a bike ride and reflect on the graciousness of God and His people. the spirit of giving was something I shouldn't even be surprised about anymore, but I still am. I see it constantly from those around me and in my community. I saw it before I left for India, I saw it during my time in the homeless shelter, and I see it now in this new community in Philly. It is so beautiful. I want everyone to be a part of it and to experience it..it is something we miss in the hustle and bustle of life in the city, but I think if we stop to look and see the beautiful spirit of those around us, it would change our mentality. It would change the way we lived.

1 comment:

Paul Burkhart said...

I know what you mean. I'm working at this counseling place, and they had a former patient commit suicide about a month ago. At the funeral, they took an offering for her mother to help with the funeral expenses. The vast majority of the crowd, it seems, were non-Christians, but were people that had lived life with her for years, watching her come out of the some of the darkest moments of her life.

Well, as I was hearing this story, after having gone to your India thing, I was expecting to hear that they raised $500, $600 or $1000 or so for the mom. They raised less than $300. A crowd much bigger than ours that night at the party could only raise about a fifth of what poor 20-something Christians could for people they had never met.

This is the way the church should be. This is (for once) a church that looks far different from the world, in a good way. Thanks for this, Larrivee.