Saturday, September 22, 2007

Carolyn the Coloradianator

I figured an update was fitting since I have much to update you on. I am now in Denver..currently sitting in Panera because the DRM (Denver Rescue Mission) blocks this blog website and I can't post when I'm there :( So I'm going to try to post whenever I get the chance!

I arrived on Thursday night really anxious and upset to leave Delaware but totally excited about Denver, Josh, my intern coordinator, picked me up from the airport and showed me my new home. We walked in and we saw a girl coming down the stairs and Josh yells, "HEATHER! I'm so glad you're here! I totally forgot to tell you that you're getting a new roommate...by the way her flight got in an hour ago and shes right here." So not much time to prepare...but its okay. I took some pictures of Heather and my SWEET room...I want you to pay close attention to my head board....yes those are horses and tassels. And yes those sheets are for real. I cannot wait for my mom to send me my comforter. Here are the sweet room pictures....


please notice in this picture the wall that ends right before it gets to the ceiling....thats where our bathroom is,.....yes there is no ceiling above our bathroom. Luckily the toilet is farther in..fully enclosed...
also notice the lack of color and decoration on our walls...PLEASE SEND FUN THINGS TO HANG UP! :) Its depressing.

So yesterday I did a bunch of hanging out, Josh took Kayla and I to Chipotle on the company's money and called it an intern orientation...fine by me :) Then came Friday night...........................

Kayla told Heather and I that there is this sweet band playing downtown, little did we know the kind of night we would have once we said yes. First we went to Sonic and had some mediocre chicken popcorn but some FABULOUS cherry limeade....new favorite.

Then we ventured to JC's Grounds...which is apparently a Christian coffee shop that is only open on Friday night from 5:00-midnight and Saturday night 5:00-midnight....interesting hours..and an even more interesting band played. This band called Moon Baybees was a hardcore christian screamo band. Which every time someone else walked up I expected it to be my brother and all his friends...but then my favorite band played. Tokyo Unicorns...a one man band with a microphone and a mac. Techno meets imogen heap meets christian meets drugs. It was the greatest thing i have ever seen. He sung about his love for Mario and then about his dancing shoes. I want to be his new best friend.

We left (against my will...I could have listened to him forever) and went to The Tattered Cover bookstore...SO CUTE! I loved it. On a friday night, we stayed there for about an hour and a half. Fantastic.

Saturday morning.
I was (am) still jet lagged. So Heather and I decided sleeping in was in order for our non busy Saturday.
7:30am...cue worship service directly outside my window...for an hour....with a FULL band, complete with full drum set.
Back to bed...
8:45am...cue vacuum directly outside our room in the hallway for what seemed like an eternity.
Back to bed....
8:55am...cue screaming child banging on the door directly across the hall for about 10 minutes.
Back to bed...
9:10am..cue cell phone text message from Jman....2 hour time difference is really gonna start to suck.
No use going back to bed this time...

All in all, my time here in Denver has been great. I've met great people..I absolutely adore my roommate, Heather. She is from Ohio but goes to college in Canada...just because. We laugh a lot and I feel truly blessed to have such an awesome roomie. We are going to venture to Wal-Mart tonight with Mike..another intern with a full spider web tattoo on his bald noggin...about a mile walk from our building, which is nothing when you don't have a car.

Tomorrow are going to try out Scum of the Earth Church.

So I'm in my new home. I'm in friggin Denver, Colorado. This is my life. And I love it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Denver AND to DRM! I'm on staff (I work at MOC), and I hope you have a fabulous experience as an intern!

My name's Haley said...

Yay! I'm so glad you're happy there. And you even found a panera. Happy Day.

lstetler said...

i agree with haley! i'm happy for you and the panera :) sounds like you're off to a great start!! love you vee :)